In accordance with its 2017 Annual Work Plan and within the framework of Statistical Capacity Building (StatCaB) Programme, SESRIC will organise the Training Course on ‘Labour Statistics’ at the Federal Competitiveness and Statistics Authority (FCSA) of United Arab Emirates on 19-21 December 2017.
The Training Course will be conducted by Ms. Nur Layali MOHD ALI KHAN, Senior Assistant Director at Department of Statistics (DOS) Malaysia, with the participation of relevant officials of the FCSA of UAE.
As defined in the Classification of Statistical Activities (CSA Rev. 1 - October 2009; http://goo.gl/olg3Tz); Labour – covers statistics on labour force, labour market, employment and unemployment; the more detailed topics include economically active population, labour conditions, health and safety at work (accidents at work, occupational injuries and diseases, work-related health problems), working time and other working conditions, strikes and lockouts, job vacancies, and job creation.
The Training Course on ‘Labour Statistics’ will include discussion activities with a focus on the following topics:
• Introduction to labour statistics
• Labour statistics: Source and approach
• Malaysia’s experience in measuring labour statistics
• Concepts and definition: Economically active population & currently active population
• Concepts and definition: Employment, unemployment and underemployment
• Labour Force Survey: Design and implementation
• Labour Force Survey: Estimation method
• Labour Force Survey: Dissemination
• Key indicators of the labour market
• Issues and challenges in the measurement of labour statistics